Getting to know your owners manual is both easy and very beneficial. Your owners manual is going to be tailored specifically to your car, which makes finding the information you are looking for simple and quick.
Some things you will find in the owners manual will include:
- Maintenance Schedule - Understanding your car’s specific maintenance schedule helps to guard against unnecessary repairs (“upselling”), and also lets you know when important services are due such as - timing belts, transmission fluid service, spark plug replacement and tire rotations. Missing these service items can lead to costly breakdowns and shorten the overall life of the vehicle.
- Simple Services / Do- It-Yourself - Learn everything from how to open the hood, to how to check and add fluids (washer fluid especially) and replace most light bulbs, fuses, wiper blades and simple filters, saving you time and money.
- How To Change A Flat Tire - You can find step by step directions on how to change a flat tire on your specific car. Everything you need to know from beginning to end will be in that little book, step by step with pictures.
- How To Jump Start Your Car - Step by step instructions that include pictures and clearly outlines the "do's" and "don'ts" of this sometimes intimidating task.
- Warning Lights - The owners manual will give you an understanding of what each warning light means, when to worry and when to pull over.
- Proper Fluids - Find out if your vehicle requires more expensive synthetic fluids before you go in for an oil change. This way you wont be sold unnecessary upgraded fluids.
Your owners manual will provide you with so much information... and its much easier than asking Google.
(If your vehicle did not come with an owners manual, I very much recommend tracking one down. Ebay is the best place to look, and most manuals will cost $10-$20 for older vehicles, and $35-$45 for newer vehicles... worth every penny)